Friday 24 July 2009

Garana Jazz Fest

I'll have this post written on English from several reasons. This is an extension for the review of Raoul on his blog (find link on the bottom of the page) and because people must find out how great this Romanian Festival can be. I don't like to get to personal on my blog so I'll put the spotlight on the gigs.
The schedule was quite well structured and in every evening there was at least one Romanian band playing which I consider it is extremely good. They didn't totally respected the order on the poster but it was OK.
Friday they had a delay of like two hours I guess and started at about half past eight. Andrej Jagodzinski reminded me in some way of Esbjorn Svensson Trio. He had that calm and funny attitude in his style. The soft but challenging piano was quite nice. Jazz de Necaz is a new jazz band from Timisoara. The most of the band is still studying in the University but I must say that Lucian Nagy at sax is great. He is probably the best young player in the country. I must say that I don't like guitar jazz. I don't think that guitar has its place in jazz. Terje was too rock for me. I can't really say an objective opinion about him. The last group was Nick Bartsch's band from Switzerland. They were absolutely amazing. They have fresh, energic, progressive style. They were wow!
Saturday it was the day. Everything seemed to be fine. But it was something in the air and it was not love. It was the heaviest rain my body experienced in his life.I didn't really like Platonic. I mean they were good but not that good. Bega Blues band were the next. They are an experienced band from Timisoara. It was a pro blues show. A festival like this needs a band like this from time to time. John Abercrombie was better than Terje. He seemed more jazzy. More like Scofield. It was nicer. But it was partially ruined by Udrea (but I don't really want to expand this part). He was a pro and did his job in a very nice way. Then it all started. It was the rain. Everybody ran under the kiosks and some went to their tents. Raoul had the genious idea to hide under the table. It was very nice. When we thought that it chilled down we were wrong. Anyway, we went "home" and had to rescue our houses. It was probably one of the craziest nights in my life. Saving tents at one a.m. with a flashlight on a heavy rain it is not easy but it is super funny. I am sorry I haven't seen the Helge Lien concert. It was held after the rain stopped. It must have been very nice.
Sunday was all about Nils Petter Molvaer. Misi Farkas Band opened everything. Trigon from Moldavia were next and they held a wonderful ethno-jazz concert. Everybody was mesmerized by their energy. Nils Petter was the shit! He was just what I expected. The chill guy that will make 8 000 people stop talking and listen to him and his cornet. I just felt extremely accomplished when I heard Song of Sand at the end. This was why I came 'till Garana. He did worth it. I don't know if he deserves the title of "the new Miles Davis" but he is great. He has a style few people can think about. I haven't seen Ulrich Drechsler. Sorry :D
I had probably one of my most amazing weekends in my life. I had great time and I must thank this to: Linda, Raoul, Stefan, Marmo, Oana, Io, Andrei, Cristina, Akos and Alecu. You did my weekend a wonderful one. Few of you like jazz but the fact we ate that watermelon, had that bath in the lake and laughed all along, eating 25 mici and 3 copanele, had the water fight, saving the spots at the concerts and saving our tents, sleeping in the car it made one of the funniest holidays I ever had.

PSPW!!!!!!!!!

P.S.: Vreti prune?

3 comments:

.raoul said...

your post is the shit and mine is an extensions for the Wooooo connoisseurs :P
Cant wait for Vadul Crisului!!! No jazz there. Sowwy. but I can shooby doo :P

norbi said...

yeah right. just that from your garana jazz festival post missed the jazz part. :)) that's all

norbi said...

o yes. and there will be jazz. we'll jazz all the way long.